An MRI scan of the brain (or head) is a painless procedure that yields crystal-clear images of the internal head components, primarily the brain. Medical professionals assess, identify, and keep track of a variety of medical illnesses that affect the brain or other head structures by performing neuro MRI in New Jersey.
Compared to other imaging methods like CT (computed tomography) scans or X-rays, MRI is currently the imaging test most sensitive for your head (and notably your brain).
What does a brain MRI reveal?
A brain MRI reveals the following structures in your head:
- Your mind.
- Blood arteries supply the brain.
- The face and skull bones.
- Your inner ear’s structures.
- Your eyes and the tissues that support them, such as your optic nerves.
- More neurons (cranial nerves).
- Lipids, bones, muscles, and connective tissue comprise the underlying soft tissues and the skull’s supporting components.
In what circumstances would a neurologist request a brain MRI?
Brain MRIs may be requested by neurologists and other medical professionals for various reasons, such as to monitor pre-existing conditions or to assist in diagnosing new neurological illnesses based on specific symptoms.
A head MRI can be used to diagnose or track a number of disorders, such as:
- An embolism in your brain.
- A brain aneurysm
- Bleed on the brain.
- Mental illness (encephalitis).
- The epilepsy-related brain damage.
- Cysts and brain tumors.
- Certain long-term neurological disorders, such as multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Pituitary problems, like pituitary adenoma.
- Issues with brain anatomy or development, such as the Chiari malformation, and defects in cortical development.
- Traumatic brain damage (TBI).
What happens during a brain MRI?
A transient magnetic field is produced in your body—in this case, your head—by feeding electrical currents through coils of wires during magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The device then receives and transmits radio waves using a transmitter and receiver. The computer then uses these signals to create digital photographs of the internal structures of your brain.
For neurological imaging services in northern New Jersey, get in touch with the kind and knowledgeable staff at Image Care Center.